#sons2024: The national event of Greece
From 3rd to November 4th 2023, the main Greek event for "Science on Stage – Europe 2024" took place at the "Yiannis Ritsos" Cultural Center of the Municipality of Aigaleo, Athens.
The main Greek event for the “Science on Stage – Europe” Programme was the “12th Hellenic Science on Stage Fair”, which included laboratory constructions and educational material on the theme of the programme: «Sustainability in STEM Education».
The main purpose of the contest was the selection of the participants for the European SoS 2024 Fair in Turku, Finland.
The contest was be open for teams of teachers and students from all Greek schools. It was announced to all Greek Primary schools and High schools by a document of the Greek NSC, officially sent to schools by the Ministry of Education.
During the two-day event, all selected projects were presented to students (500 students from 12 schools), teachers and the general public (plus more than 500 visitors). The main event was organised by the Greek NSC in collaboration with “Laboratory Centre of Physical Sciences of Aigaleo” and sponsored by the Municipality of Aigaleo.
The teachers and projects awarded for participating in the European festival are:
- Kalliopi Giannakoudaki, Georgios Chatzisavvas with “Shedding "light" on a Picasso!”
- Panagiotis (Takis) Lazos with “About color vision: Where physics, physiology and technology meet”
- Vasileios Michalopoulos, Dimitris Giannakeas, Eleni Lempesi with "The first step"
- Louiza Dimitriou, Michalis Filioglou with “Electricity from sea waves”
- Petros Poutos with «Strange wheels, incredible movements, from smart omnidirectional mobile robots»
- Konstantinos Chalkiadakis with “Is the lettuce salad breathing inside your fridge?”
- Nektarios Kourakis with “Notification ΙΟΤ device - alarm in case of out of bounds emotional state or heart rate and simultaneously detected change in emotional state Students call it 'Lie Detector'” and “Traffic light with priority on ambulance – Supersonic horn that also works as a wireless controller – Patented”
Three projects were also awarded and four commendations were given.
Report: Eugenia Tsitopoulou - Christodoulides